POLITICS AND FASHION pt. 2: THE MUSEUMS

Today we went to two museums: The Design Museum to see the exhibition "Women Fashion Power" and it's basically about powerful women in several different fields and how women changed themselves and society and how they used fashion as a tool. From the painful corsets to the "Le Smoking" of Yves Saint Laurent. 

This exhibition was designed by Zara Hadid, a famous architect (only women architect to win a Pulitzer award) and many powerful and successful women are featured. From different eras as well. 

I particularly enjoyed this exhibition, I felt it really expressed how women evolved and how their ways of protesting and making their voice heard changed throughout the years. Those painful clothes from the Edwardian era, corsets, etc, things that made women stuck inside their own clothes, I can imagine how difficult it must've been to breathe wearing those. Clothes that, today would make no sense in a busy life like contemporary women lead. 

Something that I thought was interesting was a piece stating that Edna Woolman Chase had to fight her way up from the mail room to the position of Editor-in-chief of British Vogue. I've read books before saying how magazines such as Vogue and Harper's Bazaar helped women to express themselves. Other thing that I've noticed that always helped women to feel powerful regardless the time are shoes. From Roger Vivier shoes to Manolo Blahnik to Christian Louboutin.  For each time there was one shoe that represented how they are an extremely useful tool. 


After that we had a choice of going to Tate Modern or Somerset House. I went to Somerset because I wanted to check the Blondie exhibition. Totally worth it and I believe Debbie Harris she should be included into the other exhibition, she was a pioneer at her time and changed loads for women who wants to sing punk/rock (maybe she was there but I didn't see it). Blondie was one of the first bands to have lyrics about women being powerful and chasing men instead of being chased or waiting for Mr. Right. So much worth it. The exhibition showed pictures of Debbie Harris and other members of the band, in tours or with other artists. 


During this exhibition I came across with this picture: 

The headline caught my attention and I believe is something I could use with my theme. "Women are just slaves", female ejaculation is considered "life-threating" so the only point for women to have intercourse is to give pleasure to men, because their ejaculation is not "life-threating". But this is still just an idea, I'm still working on it. 

Oh, and that's my funny selfie: